Historic Northampton

Virtual Tours

Bridge Street Cemetery Virtual Tour

Go where the ancient pathway guides,
See where our sires laid down
The patriarchs of the town;
Hast thou a tear for buried love?
A sigh for transient power?
All that a century left above?
Go, read it in an hour.


Bridge Street Cemetery was established in Northampton in 1663. After the town voted that no more burials should take place next to the Meetinghouse, a portion of a ten acre lot on the far edge of town, known as the "minister's lott" at Pine Plain, was allocated for use as a burial ground. In 1680, the bodies of those previously buried were moved to Bridge Street Cemetery. Today, the cemetery encompasses approximately 20 acres. It is an active non-denominational city cemetery.

View Plot Map

Materials for this site were compiled by Judith Owen, Susanna Morgan, Allison Schofield and Rebecca Ames; all students at Smith College.

17th Century Gravestones

18th Century Gravestones

19th Century Gravestones

20th Century Gravestones